Medicine Bluff at Ft. Sill 1870's
Artist: Barbara Vaupel
Sponsor: Sen. Sam Helton and Sen. Jim Maddox
Dedication: May 26, 1999
Size: 40" x 30"
Type: Oil on Canvas
Location: Outside Senate Lounge
It was decided in May of 1868 that a new post would be located near Medicine Bluff. The post was needed due to unrest among the Indians in the Red River area. After the battle at Chief Black Kettle's village on the Washita River, the Indians were moved from Fort Cobb to Medicine Bluff. General Philip Henry Sheridan believed that Fort Cobb was located too far north to be effective. The Kiowas called Fort Still "TSO-KADA-HAGYA", which meant "where the soldiers live at Medicine Bluff." Fort Sill was first called Camp Medicine Bluff or Camp Wichita, but on August 1, 1869, was named Fort Sill after General Joshua W. Sill who was killed at the battle of Stone River, Tennessee, in 1862. The painting depicts a peaceful encampment of Kiowas at the base of Medicine Bluff in the early 1870's.
Images are copyright of The Oklahoma State Senate Historical Preservation Fund, Inc. and the artist. Please contact Matt Duehning at 405-524-0126 or Matt.Duehning@oksenate.gov for further copyright information.